Friday 3 September 2010

Briançon to Barcelonnette

Distance: 65 miles
Average speed: Too damn slow!
Maximum speed: 34.25mph
Time in saddle: not known, but seemed like forever
Total distance: 305 miles

Two big hills to conquer today, namely Col d'Izoard (2360m) and Col de Vars (2109m), nothing could surely go wrong all I needed to do was sit and pedal for a few hours.
Straight out of the hotel in Briançon and up the Col d'Izoard which consisted of a 13 mile climb to the top. Feeling good at this stage, weather incredibly hot and generally enjoying life, mp3 player working well. Don't know what all the fuss is about these little hills in France.
Down the other side, avoiding the edges of the road as the drop either side is a little worrying.
Stopping for a spot of lunch at Guillestre 32 miles in, halfway there.
One thing i forgot to say in my previpus blogs, Katy is the map reader and Dave holds the money, I have neither, so the technique is not to loose them.
Onwards and upwards up the next hill, with Dave pushing ahead and Katy dropping back, I suddenly found myself riding on my own. However, this was fine, I thought I knew where I was going. Suddenly the road went downwards, the bike trip reset itself and several roads splitting from the main, your mind gets a bit confused. Am I cycling up the right bloody hill!
My legs had just one hill left inside them and I was halfway up it. Finally physically and mentally drained I reached the top to be met by Dave who was not looking great either. Normally there are other bikers about, but for some reason, there were none, no road signs up the hill, was I a confused chappy. Even Dave said he was a bit worried if he was on the right road and he had a map.
Anyway, just another 20 miles, first a steep descent followed by a gentle downhill through the valley.
What nobody knew was that God had decided to put a wacking great fan at the end of the valley blowing us back.
I got into Barcelonnette absolutely shot to bits. It seems France is now open for business, and no more quiche on the menus. After the first couple of days, where all we could find were quiche shops, I doubt if I will ever eat another.
Anyway, found a decent restaurant, I was barely alive and struggled to eat.
In bed by 10.30, have checked the brochure from where we booked the week away, it does actually refer to the week as a 'holiday'.
Ha ha.
What I have noticed that last year on the Lands End to John O'Groats trip most people were reasonably fit, but most carried a little exrtra weight, tnis trip everyone is super fit and most have been riding for many years. And then there's me!
No motorised beds on wheels today, so had to add a caravan in just to keep my bruv happy. I know he will lose interest if all the pictures are just views of the alps.

No comments: