Thursday 2 September 2010

Day 4 - Aussois to Briançon

Distance: 62.23
Average speed: 11.95
Maximum speed: 40.32mph
Time in saddle: 5hr 16min
Total distance: 240 miles

With two big hills to do today, the Col du Telegraphe (1566m) and the infamous Col du Galibier (2646m) this had all the hallmarks of a tpugh day. Weather was hot, not a cloud in the sky, peddalling for five hours tough was not going to be easy.
Out of Aussois with a big descent and then straight into the climb for the Col du Telegraphe. A mere 8 miles to take us to the top. Taking it easy and no messing around today was the theme.
Once we got to the top, pictures taken, the best campervan seen all week pitched up. Big old Merc from Germany. Quick check with the owner and pictures taken, Jay would be well jealous of this one, probably not the fuel consumption though.
Big downhill afterwoods and a quick lunch at Valloire. Then ready for the Col du Galibier with 11.5miles to the summit.
Quck spot of a horse with bells on (goats, cows, sheep and horses now done) and onto the serious business. Going up at around 5.5mph, this meant over a two hour climb and bloody hard.
Got close to overheating, so cycle helmet came off for the first time. The hill went on and on, but at least I knew from experience that most Col's finish with the last 1km fairly flat.
So aiming for the 1km mark, cycling on my own know as everyone just had to bash out there own pace. Once I got to the 1km mark I was greeted with the tunnel and the flat that takes traffic through to avoid the last 1km of climbing.
This is banned for cyclists, so the last 1km was steep, very bloody steep. Down to my lowest gear now, it was as hard as riding my old Raleigh Chopper up hills now.
Finally to the top and the view was stunning and I was a completely shattered.
Big downhills followed with 25miles left to ride, the key to the downhills off the mountains is to not fall off the edge as your speed will increase immensely for a very short period, followed by a thud!
So, my maximum speed of the week was saved for a nice wide straight road, 40mph, my old Mini would be proud of that.
Finally into Briançon (highest city in Europe at around 1200m), found hotel and room. Room seems to be painted in illuminous two tone yellow them. Nice.
I was completey cream cackered now. Today was probably the hardest day physically I had ever had the pleasure to partake in.
Three days more cycling, could it be that I Started Something I Couldn't Finish?
Any, off to rehydrate with a few beers and discuss tomorrows tactics.

No comments: